Ever since it was first introduced in 1901 by a British inventor named Hubert Cecil Booth and was improved for the domestic market in 1905 by Booth’s compatriot Walter Griffiths, the vacuum cleaner has become an indispensable tool in eliminating dust and other types of dirt from homes. With even more innovations, some vacuum cleaners are even made more portable and can be carried anywhere, with or without the need for an electrical outlet. Other vacuum cleaners do all the cleaning by themselves due to being automated robots in essence. Others still suck up not just dry dirt, but also liquid spills that cannot be handled by mops alone. Others still can be shrunken further and can therefore fit into the palm of one’s hand. Needless to say, the vacuum cleaner is a part of the modern lifestyle when it comes to removing dirt and dust that can have detrimental effects on people, especially those who have allergies.
With so many types of vacuum cleaners on the market today, one might not know what it is that he or she really needs in such an appliance. There is good news, though. After looking through many articles related to vacuum cleaners – specifically of the handheld and upright type – product specialists advise consumers to look for the following features and characteristics:
1. a set of additional tools such as nozzles
2. light weight
3. a cleaner head that is easily maneuverable
4. versatility that is not limited to floors only
5. a secure dustbin with a huge capacity
Those features and characteristics should be suitable for the different needs of different households, and they should not buy more than one vacuum cleaner unless absolutely necessary.
Dyson DC65 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Dyson DC65 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner is a sleek animal, clad in silver and metallic fuchsia. It is advertised to have twice the suction power of any other vacuum cleaner on the market, which should be good news to housekeepers who have a hard time dealing with stubborn dirt on the undersides. This force is made possible by two features: the Radial Root Cyclone Technology that encapsulates the cleaner’s suction power into a ball, and a redone brush bar that will penetrate deeper into carpets to harvest more dirt. The ball design also allows for a self-adjusting cleaning head that makes the DC65 Animal easy to maneuver around corners. Customers generally have a favorable opinion of the DC65 Animal and it may even be considered one of the top best vacuum cleaners, which should not be surprising since Dyson is one of the innovators when it comes to devices that utilize the power of air. Satisfied owners like the ergonomic design, the easy maneuverability, the ability to go from one surface to another without the need for changing cleaning heads, the lack of scratches made by the cleaning head on delicate surfaces, the ease of assembly, and the general durability. Some customers complain about the extension tube being a little hard to pull, a somewhat steep learning curve, the so-so plastic housing, and the non-retractable cord, but they should get used to those shortcomings after a few uses.
Miele S2121 Olympus Canister Vacuum Cleaner
2. The Miele S2121 Olympus Canister Vacuum Cleaner boasts of being a lightweight contender among the top vacuum cleaners. It weighs only 16 pounds when packed and under 10 pounds when in use, which is good news for those who do not want to break their backs in searching through corners and other tight spaces for elusive dirt. It offers six suction settings, which is useful for people who do not want to accidentally suck precious things such as jewelry and small toys alongside the dirt. It can transition from one surface to another with no problem, thanks to the Combination Floor Tool. For those who want to literally extend their cleaning horizons, a telescopic stainless steel wand offers a cleaning radius of up to 29.5 feet. Customers generally have a favorable opinion of the German-made vacuum cleaner, saying that it has customizable suction options, it has a whisper-quiet operation, it has notches where the hose can be parked, it has an indicator that signifies when the dirt bag is full, its filtration system can be upgraded, and it is durable. Some complaints regarding the S2121 include having to flip the switch on the cleaning head to prevent annoying noises when transitioning from one surface to another, the horrible smell coming from the dust canister, the clumsy arrangement of accessories, and the flimsy plastic hose.
Dyson DC59 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
3. The Dyson DC59 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner has a unique approach for the overall design – its main unit lies in the handle rather than the cleaning head. Dyson intended the design to be as versatile as a typical portable vacuum cleaner while still retaining the integrity of the upright vacuum cleaner that the DC59 Animal is classified as. And for those who are concerned about power being sacrificed for portability, they have nothing to worry about. The DC59 Animal’s motor is packed with 350 watts of power and can spin 110,000 revolutions per minute – thrice the power of conventional vacuum cleaner motors. The nickel cobalt manganese battery that is provided with the cleaner can accommodate this much power – it can run cordless for 26 minutes on regular mode and 6 minutes on boost mode. The battery power is only used when the trigger is pulled, and there is no wastage of power when the cleaner is idle. The handheld nature of the DC59 Animal allows for the wealth of attachments that makes it more than just an upright cleaner. Like the Dyson DC65 Animal, the DC59 Animal is well-loved as the best vacuum cleaner in 2018 by consumers for its light weight, ease of operation, ease of charging, and overall cleaning efficiency considering the battery’s capacity. Some customers did not like the inadequate dust canister, the somewhat limited battery life, the difficulty of swapping batteries, and the outrageously high price.
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away (NV501)
4. The Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away (NV501) is perfect for homeowners who want large dust canisters and who want their houses to be free of all types of air-polluting allergens. It combines into one unit the power of three types of vacuum cleaners – the traditional upright cleaner, the portable pod cleaner, and the central canister cleaner. For those who do not want to spend too much on separate vacuum cleaners for different situations, this Shark model is just what they need. The swivel steering allows for greater maneuverability in tight spots that can be cleaned by the motor that will never lose its suction power. For those who want a comprehensive vacuum cleaning system, one can purchase additional tools such as the power brush as well as a set of attachments for cleaning the interiors and exteriors of cars. Customers are generally pleased with the Shark. It never loses power even when the dust canister is full, it operates quietly, its brushes are top-notch, and its dust canister is easy to empty and clean. Some customers did not like the Shark’s inability to suck up long hair, its rigid flexible hose, the dull LED lights, and the assortment of buttons that will confuse users.
Hoover UH30010COM Platinum Collection Lightweight Bagged Upright
5. The Hoover Platinum Collection Lightweight Bagged Upright with Canister UH30010COM comes in a professional platinum finish, which is perfect for those who do not want their vacuum cleaners plain or dull in appearance. In terms of cleaning power, the Hoover is also professional and deserving of the platinum name – the powerful 12-ampere motor combined with the proprietary WindTunnel technology ensures that dirt stays trapped the moment it is sucked into the dust bag. Despite the bulky-looking appearance, the upright unit only weighs 12 pounds, and the canister unit is even lighter. The separate nature of the upright unit and the canister unit ensures greater longevity with careful use. Customers are generally impressed with the Hoover package as a good contender in the vacuum cleaner contest – they praise the simple controls, automated carpet settings, easy maneuverability due to the lightweight nature especially in cleaning the stairs, the long power cord, the carrying strap of the canister unit, and ease of assembly. Nitpicks include the expensive replacement dust bags that can only be ordered online, the noisy operation of both the upright and canister units, a flimsy plastic hose, and the loose fit of the attachments.
Miele S7210 Twist Upright Vacuum Cleaner
6. The Miele S7210 Twist Upright Vacuum Cleaner is another example of German precision. While it looks somewhat bulky, its swivel neck offers good maneuverability and the ability to reach the undersides of furniture, proving that one should not judge a vacuum cleaner by its appearance alone. The automated height adjustment ensures there is no loss of suction power when transitioning from one surface to another. And due to the long power cord, the cleaning radius of the S7210 can reach 54 feet. Customers generally have a favorable opinion of the S7210. They like the durable and long cord, the quiet operation, the indicator warning of potential cleaning head jams, the durability of the dust bin, and the general durability that is said to last a decade. What they do not like about the S7210 are its bulky weight, constant clogging, and the expensive replacement dust bags.
Bissell CleanView Upright Vacuum with OnePass 9595
7. The Bissell CleanView Upright Vacuum with OnePass 9595 is futuristic in terms of appearance and function. In just a single pass, many surfaces can be cleaned. Cleaning and maintenance are also simplified – the dirt tank can be easily emptied, and the filter is easily washable. Customers generally rate the Bissell as one of the best not just for its unique look, but also for its maneuverability, ease of maintenance, light weight, and for excelling in removing pet hairs. The Bissell has some glaring weaknesses, though: it lacks accessories, it is weak against powdery substances that can easily choke the motor, its motor can easily overheat under certain conditions, and it cleans poorly when used on some rugs and carpets.